Do you know what is an input device and how many types of Input Devices for Computer are there? People who work on computers know a lot about them. It’s a Basic Computer Knowledge that everyone must have. A computer cannot do any work on its own. To work on a computer, some external devices have to be used, so you must know the types of computer input devices.
In today’s time, around 60% of people all over the world use desktops and laptops for work. Therefore it becomes important that you should know about the basic devices used in the computer. So I thought about why to give you information about the input device. This article has been written for you. So let’s start and know “What is an input device”.
What is an Input Device?
Input devices are some electronic devices that are used by the user to input data into a computer. This data can be of any kind such as text, images, commands, etc. The most commonly used input device is a keyboard or mouse. Without which no work can be done.
A computer works in a very simple way. It takes the data with the help of Input devices and with the help of internal devices processes that data according to the instructions given and gives that data to the user with the help of output devices, making it workable. In this whole process, you must have come to know about the importance of input devices. So, let us now tell you about some equipment in detail.
Types of Input Devices
Now you have come to know about what is the input device. Now I am going to tell you about some major input devices. Which are used a lot? That’s why you need to know about these computer input devices.
- Light pen
- Bar Code Reader
- Card Reader
- Digital Camera
Keyboard Input Device
The keyboard is a major input device of a computer that is most commonly used. The keyboard is used to do all the writing tasks on the computer. The keyboard has many types of keys to do the job properly. Which are used to perform different tasks?
A QWERTY layout keyboard has 6 types of keys.
- Function keys: Function Keys are in the line above the keyboard. These are numbered F1 to F12.
- Alphanumeric Keys: The keyboard consists of alphabet A – Z and numeric 0 – 9, some of these or even signs (! @, #, $,%, ^, &, *,) That are placed above the numeric keys. These keys also include some signs and keys like Tab, Space, Enter, Backspace, etc.
- Control Keys: These include Ctrl, Shift, Alt, insert, Prt sc, Scroll, Window, and Menu all the keys.
- Numeric Keys: These include 0 – 9 number, Enter and some sign (+, -, /, *.), They are used to input Numbers on the computer.
- Navigation Keys: Navigation keys include Arrow keys, Home, End, Page up, Page Down, etc.
- Indication Lights: Keyboard has three types of Indication lights, Num Lock, Caps Lock, and Scroll Lock.
Mouse input device
The mouse is also a major input device. With the help of which the pointer is controlled on the computer screen. Therefore it is also called a pointing device. The mouse is used to open, close, drag and drop files, icons, software, etc. The use of mouse has increased a lot with the introduction of GUI (Graphic User Interface).
Types of Mouse
- Mechanical Mouse
- Optical Mouse
- Cardless Mouse
A simple mouse has 3 buttons.
- Left button – left button is used to open, close, minimize, etc. file, icon, etc.
- Right button – Through its use, we get to know about the work done with files, icons, etc.
- Wheel – the wheel is used to scroll.
A scanner is used to scan documents and input them into the computer in digital form. The document scanned by it can be saved as an image on the computer. If you want, you can also edit the document.
There are many types of scanners. Which are used to perform different tasks?
- MICR(Magnetic Ink Character Recognition): MICR is an input device that is used to read text written with magnetic ink. It is a character-recognition technology, meaning that it is a technique to identify a character which is written by magnetic ink. It is used in the technology banking sector to perform cheque clearance.
If you have ever seen the cheque provided by banks, then you must have seen a number printing from the lowest computer, which is written by magnetic ink as you can see in the image below.
- OCR(Optical Character Reader): The full form of OCR is “Optical Character Reader” or “Optical Character Recognition”. It is an input device that is used to convert handwritten text or image written on paper or printed text and image by computer into machine encoded format.
It is used to store the text written in paper and store it in the computer’s memory. This is different from scanner because the scanner scans your document and stores it in the form of an image in the computer while OCR reads the text written on your document and enters it in the computer which you can later edit in the word processor.
- OMR(Optical Mark Reader): OMR is an input device that is used to read an OMR sheet. If you have given any objective question offline, then you are given a separate sheet to tick the answer, on which four options are available and the option which is right in your question paper is rounded in the answer sheet. The same is called OMR Sheet.
OMR sheet means the OMR scanner scans the option darkened with a pencil in the answer sheet, that is, it reads the key and then converts that mark into an electrical signal and then stores it in memory. It is useful for competitive examination.
- BCR(Bar Code Reader): barcode readers are input devices that are used to read code hidden in barcode lines. A barcode is a vertical (standing) line of black color, in which a lot of information is hidden (Product Name, Product Price, Product Cost, Batch no. , company name, etc.).
Whenever you would buy something in a shopping mall and go to collect money at the counter, you would have seen that the person sitting on the cash counter read the barcode on your goods from the machine and then the details of that product in his computer automatically gets added.
It is a pointing input device. Which is used to do graphic design, text message, etc. on a touch screen computer. With the help of a Light pen, you can draw very easily. Due to its shape like a pen, it is very easy to use.
Trackball Input device
A trackball is a pointing device that is used to move the cursor in different directions on the computer screen. There is a ball in it which you can move in a different direction and as you move, the cursor will move on your computer screen.
The touch screen is called a screen that you control by touching with your finger. You can also use your finger or stylus pen to control it. Android phone is a simple example of a touch screen as a touch screen is available in most android phones. You do not need a separate mouse or keyboard to run it.
A web camera is an input device. A web camera is called a camera that you use for image capture or video conferencing by connecting it to your computer or laptop. You can connect a web camera to the computer through the wire or you can also use a wireless web camera.
A digital camera is called a camera that captures images or videos in digital format. Nowadays, most of the cameras that are being made are digital cameras like your mobile camera. Digital cameras are equipped with lenses by which the imager (image taker) helps to focus light. You can immediately see the photo or video taken by a digital camera.
A Joystick is an input device with a stick attached to it and is used to control the direction of the device. It is also known as the Control column. It is mostly used in video games. Joystick use in:
- Surveillance Cameras
The joystick is used to handle all these machines.
A card reader is an input device that is used to read multimedia cards (such as memory cards) and digital camera cards. There are different types of card readers available to read different types of cards.