Introduction to Computer Knowledge
Since tablets and smartphones make up a large part of our daily use of technology, computers are an important tool. Computer basics are one of the most important topics everyone should be aware of. However, it is true everyone uses computer and smartphone today but having proper knowledge and skills have its own advantage.
Over the years, there may be millions of computer users. Even today most of us have a computer, maybe it is a desktop computer or laptop or even a tablet. The basics of computer awareness should be a must in this Digital Era. Computer science is the study of what computers can do and the processes that make them work, and it is extremely relevant to all of us in modern times.
Why do we Need Basic Computer Skills
Computers are a vital part of our personal and professional lives. Because most professions require basic computer skills & computer awareness, several exams, including the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAP) and the American College of Computer Science (ACSC), have a section on computer skills.
If you have sufficient knowledge of basic computer skills, it will be easier to achieve a high score in these sections. Anyone can learn how to use a computer, but it requires a little basic knowledge to understand the basic processes of the computer.
Computers play an important role in our daily lives, and it is more important than ever for educators to teach children computer basics, not only about what computers can do but also about how technology can be helpful. Everyone should learn to use their computer quickly, safely, and easily.
Computer System Components
You should be aware of your computer’s Operating System, Memory usage, and storage capacity. These are simple things that we take for granted, such as avoiding viruses, using keyboard shortcuts, and backing up data. Most PC beginners find it much easier to learn computer basics on their own and choose this method as their first step in learning basic computer skills. Knowledge of software includes the use of computer programs such as Microsoft Office, while hardware refers to the physical devices required to operate them.
5 Basic Components of Computer System
- Input Unit.
- Output Unit.
- Storage Unit.
- Central Processing Unit (CPU)
- Arithmetic and Logic Unit (ALU) Control Unit.
Accepting the data and instruction from the user sends them to the processing unit for processing. The processing unit processes the data based on the instruction.
Processed data displays information. Which is sent by the CPU. When the information monitor is displayed on the computer screen, it is called a soft copy of the information or can be print by Printer to get Hard Copy.
There are two types of storage under it – permanent storage and temporary storage. Permanent storage is those devices in which data stored permanently, while temporary storage consists of the main memory of the computer containing the data sent by the input unit before CPU processing and intermediate results during the instruction and processing. Stores it immediately and trash after processing done. permanently storage is used for storage units like Hard Drive, Micro SD Cards.
Central Processing Unit (CPU)
The CPU processes information in real-time, making it unique to the human brain. The central processing unit (CPU) collects the main memory, input memory, and output memory of the processor, collectively referred to as central memory.
Arithmetic and Logic Unit (ALU) Control Unit
Inside a computer, there is an Arithmetic Logic Unit (ALU), which is capable of performing logical operations (eg, OR, Ex-OR, Invert, etc.) in addition to Arithmetic operations (eg addition, subtraction, etc.). The Control Unit supplies the data required by ALU to memory, or Input Devices, and instructs ALU to perform a specific operation based on the instruction received from memory. ALU is the “Calculator” part of a computer.
Arithmetic Logic Unit (ALU) is a major component of the Central Processing Unit of a computer system. It performs all procedures related to Arithmetic and Logic Operations, which need to be done on instruction words. In some Microprocessor Architectures, ALU is divided into Arithmetic Unit (AU) and Logic Unit (LU).
Operation Of Computer System
- Inputting refers to the process by which data is inputted into a computer through an input device.
- Storing refers to storing data or instruction in a computer’s main memory for processing, storing data, or instruction on a permanent or secondary storage device such as a floppy disk or hard disk, etc.
- Processing refers to performing arithmetic and logical operations based on instruction on the locally stored data, so as to obtain the deprived results.
- Controlling refers to displaying processed data or information on either a computer screen or a monitor. Or displayed on paper by the printer
A computer consists of several more different parts that work together, and it is the mouse that makes it possible to move the cursor over the screen. The input and command data, such as commands, are stored in the main memory and the output data in the main memory of the processor. The set of instructions or programs that make the computer work with the hardware parts is called software.
Typically, a computer can execute 3-4 million instructions per second. Even though a computer may appear to be a complicated system with several technical parts, you need to know what each part does in terms of the task you need to accomplish.
If you are completely new to computers, you want to start learning the basics. You need to learn how to use the mouse and keyboard correctly and navigate through the files and applications on your computer. Once you have learned these basics, you will want to familiarize yourself with the use of several basic computer applications.
6 Basic Computer Skills Must for Beginners
1. Microsoft Office & OS: You can start learning more in Microsoft Office, Microsoft Word, and Microsoft Excel. You should learn about the computer operating system. Today, a wide range of computer operating systems such as Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux are available on the market. The Basic Computer awareness or Skills of OS & MS Office can help you during Academic & Jobs.
2. Common keyboard commands: Everyone should have knowledge about the basic command of keyboards, it might make your work slightly easy & less time-consuming. Every operating system has some universal keyboard commands, with the knowledge that you can add 30 minutes back into your day, it will take a lot of the “friction” out of using a computer.
3. Browser basics: In the Internet world, this web browser acts as a door for users, which takes us to that world. With the help of a web browser, we can see many web pages on the internet and it translates their files and other contents like video, images, and text and shows it on the screen of our device.
4. Simple networking diagnosis: Networking problems create the most common trouble with most computers. While you don’t need to be able to program a Cisco router, you should know how to:
- Determine your IP address
- Verify physical connectivity to the network
- Check that you have a logical connection to the network
- Find out what path network traffic takes to get to its destination
- Translate from DNS names to IP addresses
5. Knowledge of Computer Viruses: Computer Viruses Nothing but the piece of code or Computer programs that can harm your computer & your Data. Viruses can steal the information without the knowledge of Users and run against the user’s consent. It can Corrupt system files, Stealing personal information, destroying data.
6. Search engines Knowledge: The search engine is more than typing in the address, putting a couple of keywords into the big text box, clicking Search, and choosing the first result. Search Engine is a Powerful research tool, with the help of the search engine you can get maximum knowledge, can do research on anything.
You can test the basics of computers by taking the Basic Computer GK Online Tests. Questions on basic computer skills and technologies have become common in most recruitment exams. Questions relating to basic computer technology are asked in the form of basic computer knowledge and technological questions and answers.
Computer Basics Importance in Getting Job
The computer skills you possess can distinguish you from other applicants when applying for a new job. Knowing how to engage and grow an online following is one of the key skills that companies want to and will pay good money for. Many of us use Social Media like Whatsapp, Facebook(FB), LinkedIn, and Instagram when we get out of work, Social media can help you find Job easily.
You must know the basic troubleshooting steps that can be accomplished by connecting to the Internet, using software, connecting external devices and printers, and researching how the software works in a variety of different environments such as offices, or homes.
Students must expand their knowledge of spreadsheets by exploring features including formulas, sorting, filtering, and conditional formats. Discover the tools available in the spreadsheet, including formatting formulas and calculations. It is recommended to be thoroughly aware of these topics before you deepen your computer skills because they will make you safer and more comfortable if you acquire advanced computer skills.
Why Knowledge of Computer Programming is Necessary
It is not compulsory to have Computer programming knowledge for a person but it’s an additional advantage to have at least a basic understanding of the basics of computer programming and programming languages. Computer Fundamentals is one of the most important components of any computer science course in high school. Learning the basics of computers includes the basic functions of computers as well as the basics of computer programming and programming languages.
India is one of the countries where we have a government that does a good job in computer education and computer skills training. Basic computer skills are one of the most important components of computer education and training in India.
We use WhatsApp, Facebook, Gmail like services for personal and professional communication, we use Amazon, flip kart like shopping sites in our daily life. So computer basics that include basic internet knowledge are the right and must for everyone.
Ultimately Computer basics are the basic pillar of our personal life and career as it makes our lives possible in the digital world. It can make you one step further from others.